Applications Engineer Manager
At Northland Controls
Job Title: Application Engineer Manager
Reports To: Director of Professional Services
Department: Professional Services
Location: Milpitas, California
Classification: Exempt, Salaried
Reporting to the Director or Professional Services, the Application Engineer Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management, training and development of Application Engineers who provide support for our customers. Help manage the P/L (profit and loss) while ensuring all client and company business needs are met.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or direct industry experience.
- Minimum of five years managing a team of five or more direct reports.
- Experience and understanding of Enterprise Systems architecture.
- Able to navigate system database software to configure and troubleshoot data related issues.
- Understanding of MS SQL is required with Oracle knowledge a plus.
- Knowledge of complete turnkey systems (software and IT hardware).
- Understanding of IT/Networking terminology is a plus.
- Oversee Application Engineering team, and work together with customers, to ensure client needs are met.
- Identify and plan for future hiring needs.
- Responsible for initiating and participating in the hiring efforts for the Application Engineering team by alerting HR and Director of Professional Services of open positions.
- Work with Director of Professional Services to ensure company strategic policy and technological consistency is achieved globally.
- Work with Service/Installation Manager in creating a career path for technicians into the Application Engineering group.
- Mentor Application Engineers to enhance both technical & general business management skills.
- Empower Application Engineering team to keep up to date with current market developments and further their continuous professional development.
- Continually improve quality and efficiency within the organization.
- Schedule and coordinate Application Engineers for projects.
- Responsible for approving timesheets, expense reports and PTO.
- Hold regular one-on-one meetings with direct reports.
- Responsible for scheduling technology training as directed by the Director of Professional Services.
- Review RFP, RFI, RFQ’s and provide feedback to ensure a successful proposal.
- Work with various teams to develop a statement of work.
- Review team-created project plans and identify deficiencies and corrective measures.
- Attend meetings with customers and Project Management team to analyze and determine customer system needs and provide recommendations.
- Understand all customer commitments / contracts/ standards and ensure that all fulfillment’s are met to milestones and quality standards.
- Contract management of our embedded contracts with customers
- Ensure new hires are trained to comply with client standards/processes.
- Work with the Design and Project Management team to engineer systems. Take over-all responsibility for estimating Application Engineering tasks during projects.
- Customize system to customers’ business model.
- Work in compliance with the company’s Health and Safety standards and requirements—with the safety of self and others in mind at all time.
- Continue to investigate new technologies that can assist our customer base and increase our productivity.
- Continue higher education in management or security industry to support management role.
- Attend industry trade-shows as needed and maintain a professional working relationship with manufacturers.
Manages a team of application engineers which includes monitoring performance, hiring, training and career development.
Must be authorized to work in the United States.
This job summary is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.